Savannah was established on February 12, 1733 when General James Oglethorpe founded Georgia. The city was named for the Savannah River, a local waterway. Oglethorpe carefully planned the city’s streets by using a grid pattern with 24 park-like squares. Savannah has the distinction of being the first city in the state of Georgia.
There are numerous attractions in Savannah to increase cultural awareness and make Savannah the “Hostess City of the South”. Savannah is home to a National Historic Landmark District of 2.5 square miles, and more than 1,100 architecturally significant buildings. The Victorian District is one of the nation’s largest collections of that period’s architecture.
Due to the national bestseller and movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, the Mercer House on Monterey Square has become one of the most recognized homes. To appreciate Savannah’s architectural heritage and style, there are a number of homes in the historic district, including the Green-Meldrim House and the Juliette Gordon Low family home, the founder of the Girl Scouts.
Savannah’s African American history and culture are preserved by a number of historic places. The places include the King-Tisdell Cottage, the new Ralph Gilbert Civil Rights Museum and the First African Baptist Church.
The city of Savannah is also home to national parks and wildlife refuges. Blackbeard Island is one of the refuges people can visit. Fort Pulaski National Monument shows the remains of a fort bombarded with cannon fire from the Civil War. Skidaway Island Park and Wormsloe State Park are located in Savannah.
Savannah hosts the second largest St. Patrick’s Day parade and celebration in the U.S.
Savannah was the point of origin for the first steamboat to sail across the Atlantic Ocean. The ship was named the S.S. Savannah.
Savannah is home to three state-managed institutions: Armstrong Atlantic State University, Savannah State University, and Savannah Technical Institute. Also, Savannah College of Art and Design, a private institution, is located in the city.
Population: 131,510. Estimated population in July 2020: 128,453 (-2.3% change)
Males: 62,039 (47.2%), Females: 69,471 (52.8%)
Zip codes: 31401, 31404, 31405, 31406, 31407, 31408, 31410, 31411, 31415, 31419.
Median resident age: 32.3 years
Median household income: $29,038
Median house value: $78,500
Races in Savannah:
- Black (57.1%)
- White Non-Hispanic (37.9%)
- Hispanic (2.2%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- Other race (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (5.9%), English (5.9%), German (5.2%), United States (5.1%), Scottish (1.9%), Subsaharan African (1.8%).
Elevation: 42 feet
Land area: 74.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Savannah
- High school or higher: 76.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 20.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.7%
- Unemployed: 8.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Savannah city
- Never married: 35.6%
- Now married: 40.2%
- Separated: 3.5%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 11.9%
3.9% Foreign born (1.3% Asia, 1.3% Latin America, 0.8% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -6,490 (-4.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers in Savannah:
- CANDLER HOSPITAL (5353 REYNOLDS ST)
- COASTAL HARBOR TREATMENT CTR (1150 CORNELL AVE)
- GA REGIONAL HOSP SAV (1915 EISENHOWER DR)
- MEMORIAL HEALTH UNIV MED CEN,INC (4700 WATERS AV BOX 23089)
- ST JOSEPHS HOSPITAL (11705 MERCY BLVD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Savannah:
Other public-use airports nearest to Savannah:
SAVANNAH (2611 SEABOARD COAST LINE DR.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, taxi stand.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Savannah:
- SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN (Full-time enrollment: 4,565; Location: 342 BULL ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.scad.edu; Offers Master’s degree)
- ARMSTRONG ATLANTIC STATE UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 3,945; Location: 11935 ABERCORN ST; Public; Website: www.armstrong.edu; Offers Master’s degree)
- SAVANNAH STATE UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 1,802; Location: STATE COLLEGE BRANCH; Public; Website: www.savstate.edu/; Offers Master’s degree)
- SAVANNAH TECHNICAL COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,424; Location: 5717 WHITE BLUFF RD; Public)
- SOUTH COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 381; Location: 709 MALL BLVD; Private, for-profit; Website: www.southcollege.edu)
- BEN FARMER SCHOOL OF REAL ESTATE (Location: 6349 ABERCORN; Private, for-profit)
- SAVANNAH BARBER STYLING INSTITUTE (Location: 1815 WATERS AVE; Private, for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Savannah:
- GEORGIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; STATESBORO, GA; Full-time enrollment: 12,724)
- MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA (about 95 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,162)
- COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON (about 96 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 9,756)
- CHARLESTON SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 96 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,191)
- TRIDENT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 96 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 5,925)
- SOUTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 98 miles; ORANGEBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,971)
- CITADEL MILITARY COLLEGE OF SOUTH CAROLINA (about 103 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,701)
Public high schools in Savannah:
- JENKINS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,690; Location: 1800 EAST DERENNE AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
- BEACH HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,283; Location: 3001 HOPKINS STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
- JOHNSON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,210; Location: 3012 SUNSET BLVD; Grades: 09 – 12)
- SAVANNAH ARTS ACADEMY (Students: 547; Location: 500 WASHINGTON AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Biggest private high schools in Savannah:
- SAVANNAH CHRISTIAN PREP (Students: 1,551; Location: PO BOX 2848/1599 CHATHAM PKWY; Grades: PK – 12)
- SAVANNAH COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL (Students: 984; Location: 824 STILLWOOD DRIVE; Grades: PK – 12)
- CALVARY BAPTIST DAY SCH (Students: 816; Location: 4625 WATERS AVENUE; Grades: PK – 12)
- BENEDICTINE MILITARY SCHOOL (Students: 443; Location: PO BOX 13577 6502 SEAWRIGHT DR; Grades: 9 – 12; Boys only)
- ST ANDREWS SCHOOL (Students: 408; Location: PO BOX 30639 601 PENN WALLER; Grades: PK – 12)
- ST VINCENTS ACADEMY (Students: 383; Location: 207 EAST LIBERTY ST; Grades: 9 – 12; Girls only)
- BIBLE BAPTIST SCHOOL (Students: 329; Location: 4700 SKIDAWAY RD; Grades: KG – 12)
- MEMORIAL DAY SCHOOL (Students: 272; Location: 6500 HABERSHAM STREET; Grades: PK – 12)
- PINELAND CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 244; Location: 4906 PINELAND DR; Grades: PK – 12)
- URBAN CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 230; Location: 4560 ACL BLVD; Grades: PK – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Savannah:
- WINDSOR FOREST HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,708; Location: 12419 LARGO DRIVE; Grades: PK – 12)
- SAVANNAH HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 979; Location: 400 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE; Grades: PK – 12)
- SOUTHWEST MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 937; Location: 6030 OGEECHEE ROAD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- MYERS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 887; Location: 2025 EAST 52ND STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
- MARSHPOINT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 876; Location: 135 WHITEMARSH ISLAND ROAD.; Grades: PK – 05)
- DERENNE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 876; Location: 1009 CLINCH STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
- COASTAL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 874; Location: 170 WHITEMARSH ISLAND ROAD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- BARTLETT MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 812; Location: 207 MONTGOMERY CROSSROADS; Grades: 06 – 08)
- WHITE BLUFF ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 796; Location: 9902 WHITE BLUFF ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- ISLANDS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 747; Location: 4595 U.S. HIGHWAY 80 EAST; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Savannah:
- ST JAMES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 591; Location: 8412 WHITFIELD AVENUE; Grades: PK – 8)
- BLESSED SACRAMENT SCHOOL (Students: 457; Location: 1003 EAST VICTORY DRIVE; Grades: PK – 8)
- SAINT PETER THE APOSTLE SCHOOL (Students: 342; Location: PO BOX 30460 7020 CONCORD RD; Grades: PK – 8)
- RAMBAM DAY SCHOOL (Students: 194; Location: 5111 ABERCORN ST; Grades: PK – 8)
- NOTRE DAME ACADEMY (Students: 167; Location: 324 ABERCORN STREET; Grades: PK – 8)
- RAMAH JR ACADEMY (Students: 75; Location: 3400 FLORANCE STREET; Grades: PK – 8)
- EMMANUEL CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 72; Location: 114 W 61ST ST; Grades: PK – KG)
- SAVANNAH FIRST SEVENTH DAY ADV (Students: 30; Location: 25 TIBET AVENUE; Grades: KG – 8)
- WEST SIDE ACADEMY (Students: 10; Location: 907 WEST 52ND STREET; Grades: KG – KG)
Library in Savannah:
- CHATHAM-EFFINGHAM-LIBERTY REGIONAL LIBRARY SY (Operating income: $9,029,262; Location: 2002 BULL STREET; 646,958 books; 21,116 audio materials; 16,290 video materials; 1,390 serial subscriptions)